[Pdx-pm] DBI middle ground

benh ben.hengst at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 08:27:48 PST 2007

I guess my first question would be is your slowdown due to the
Database or local processing? If your hardware bound localy I would
ask how your filling in the defaults. Though if your network/DB bound
then you could look at getting something like 20 rows at a time and
just cycle thru the entire DB in 20 row chunks.

hope that helps a little bit.

On 1/29/07, Michael Rasmussen <mikeraz at patch.com> wrote:
> I'm querying a large data set.  The current code works something like:
>
>    while( @lease_information = $lease->fetchrow_array) {
>          modification of data, plugging in defaults where currently null
>          ensuring constraints are met
>          # another_db_sth is an update command
>          $another_db_sth->execute(@lease_information);
>    }
>
> I don't have control over the source database, so the changes need to be made in
> my code.
>
> This takes longer to execute than I'd like.  I can't just do a fetchall or
> selectall because the dataset is larger than my available memory.  Nor have I
> found a middle ground.
>
> Is there one?  If so, that I may study up, what are references to it?
>
> --
>    Michael Rasmussen, Portland, Ore, USA
>   Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity
>         http://www.patch.com/words/