[Pdx-pm] Portable Animation in web browsers

Jeff Zucker jeff at vpservices.com
Mon Jan 15 11:02:10 PST 2007

Andrew Clapp wrote:
> I am currently investigating using css and lots of javascript (not
> mine, see this link),
>
> http://tiny.verilan.com/cgi-bin/ev.cgi?rm=view_scroll&schedule_id=4&day=2007-01-20
> <http://tiny.verilan.com/cgi-bin/ev.cgi?rm=view_scroll&schedule_id=4&day=2007-01-20>
>
> and although I have succeeded with impatience (it kinda works, but is
> very buggy) and laziness (someone else's 2500+ lines of javascript),
> my hubris seems to think it should be possible to implement this in a
> better, more portable and perl-like way.  Also, debugging this
> javascript has become less than fun.
>
> Can anyone here suggest a way to do something like this in pure perl
> (or close),

Not sure what you mean by "like this" but one of the easiest ways to go
between Perl and JavaScript is with the CPAN modules JSON::SYCK or
JSON.  You create all your data structures in Perl, convert them all
into JavaScript structures with a single statement, then send them to
the client where they can be poured into JavaScript widgets.

There is also JSAN (not related to JSON) which is JavaScript
CPAN-act-alike.  It contains a number of JavaScript modules that are
written with a Perlish flavour.

--
Jeff