[Pdx-pm] kwiki and TypeKey - spammed again!

Eric Wilhelm scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 15:50:12 PDT 2007

# from Kevin Scaldeferri
# on Monday 16 April 2007 02:23 pm:

>On Apr 16, 2007, at 2:02 PM, chromatic wrote:
>> On Monday 16 April 2007 13:56, Eric Wilhelm wrote:
>>> If only there were some sort of (Pretty Good) cryptographic
>>
>> Would OpenID work as a reasonable substitute?
>
>OpenID is an identity and authentication system, not a reputation
>system.  Of course, you can't build a reliable reputation system
>without having an identity system first, so hopefully people will
>eventually try to layer reputation on OpenID.

Yeah, so now we have a wheel with about three unequal sides.  We'll just
keep adding sides one at a time until it gets as round as PGP.
Meanwhile company A will try to out-monopolize B, etc.  Seems like a
pretty sad state.  The only reason we need it at all is because why?
Users can't be bothered to take responsibility for security and
browsers don't have builtin gpg support?

Wait, isn't SSL supported in every browser and doesn't it do all of this
right out of the box?

--Eric
--
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge."
-- Charles Darwin