[Pdx-pm] kwiki and TypeKey - spammed again!

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Mon Apr 16 15:42:15 PDT 2007

Michael Rasmussen wrote:
> Keith Lofstrom wrote:
>> Either kwiki gets fixed, or TypeKey gets fixed (shouldn't they detect
>> this kind of usage??), or I convert to the much-maligned Twiki.
>
> I know it's PHP, but I installed a plugin for my WordPress blog engine that's cut
> spam to 0.  It's called gatekeeper.  I would have named it spamquiz.
>
> It asked a human answerable question the poster has to answer.  Kind of like a one
> time password, or "security" question.
>
> My questions include, but are not limited to:
>
> What is good cycling weather? rain, sunny, hot, cool, all
> In the sky you won't find? stars, clouds, rain, goldfish, blue
> Oregon is known for blazing, automotive, rainy, rocky or dogish weather?
> You will find feathers on a bicycle, squash, city, chicken, spam?
>
> Visit http://www.patch.com/words and click on a comment link to see how this works.

Do you create the data file?  It would seem like you'd have to,
otherwise the protection fails as quickly as a spammer can download the
data file and make a bot respond correctly.  This might be a good Perl
quiz for newbies--"When given the following questions from stdin, write
a script that picks the correct answers.  Assume answer choices could
come in any order."

Wil