[Pdx-pm] kwiki and TypeKey - spammed again!

Michael Rasmussen mikeraz at patch.com
Mon Apr 16 11:12:06 PDT 2007

Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> Either kwiki gets fixed, or TypeKey gets fixed (shouldn't they detect
> this kind of usage??), or I convert to the much-maligned Twiki.

I know it's PHP, but I installed a plugin for my WordPress blog engine that's cut
spam to 0.  It's called gatekeeper.  I would have named it spamquiz.

It asked a human answerable question the poster has to answer.  Kind of like a one
time password, or "security" question.

My questions include, but are not limited to:

What is good cycling weather? rain, sunny, hot, cool, all
In the sky you won't find? stars, clouds, rain, goldfish, blue
Oregon is known for blazing, automotive, rainy, rocky or dogish weather?
You will find feathers on a bicycle, squash, city, chicken, spam?

Visit http://www.patch.com/words and click on a comment link to see how this works.

It's dead simple for a human being to answer the question, easier on the eyes and
system than a captcha, and so far the spambots haven't figured out how to answer
my questions correctly.

Comment spam is now 0 on my site.  I enjoy it.

The php source is available at
http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/wordpress/wp-gatekeeper.html
should be simple to port to Perl.

--