[Pdx-pm] Personal perldoc server

David E. Wheeler david at kineticode.com
Wed Oct 18 10:39:38 PDT 2006

On Oct 18, 2006, at 01:17, Eric Wilhelm wrote:

> Hey, I did something similar a while back, but maybe got a little
> silly
> with the html and still haven't figured out what the secret utf8 flag
> is for POD (anyone know where that is documented?)

It's

=encoding utf8

Documented in perlpod:

        "=encoding encodingname"
            This command is used for declaring the encoding of a
document.
            Most users won't need this; but if your encoding isn't US-
ASCII or
            Latin-1, then put a "=encoding encodingname" command
early in the
            document so that pod formatters will know how to decode
the docu-
            ment.  For encodingname, use a name recognized by the
Encode::Sup-
            ported module.  Examples:

              =encoding utf8

              =encoding koi8-r