[Pdx-pm] Presenter for June? (Your chance for fame and glory!)

Ovid publiustemp-pdxpm at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 2 12:24:07 PDT 2005

Hi all,

Since I'll have an out-of-town guest, I'm afraid I won't be able to
make this meeting.  Otherwise, I'd talk about the Perl 6 Cookbook.
However, it's straightforward and anyone with interest can learn enough
to do a lightning talk.  I'd love to see someone jump on this.

Basically, Tim Bunce said we should port the Cookbook to Perl 6 (for
something called PLEAC, which I won't go into).  You can read Autrijus'
comments about this at http://use.perl.org/~autrijus/journal/24039

I started porting the examples
(http://use.perl.org/~autrijus/journal/24092), but work caught up with
me and I had to stop.  A few others pitched in, but momentum was lost.
However, you can browse what little there is at
http://svn.openfoundry.org/pugs/examples/cookbook/ (strings, arrays,
and hashes mostly).

Pugs is far enough along that this can easily be fleshed out.  If
anyone sends Autrijus a new recipe, he'll probably send you a committer
bit in return, thus letting you add recipes to your heart's content.

This could be one of the most important Perl 6 projects out there.  How
many of you reach for the Cookbook when you're trying to figure out how
to do something new?

Many people would be indebted to you for your work on this :)

Cheers,
Ovid