[Pdx-pm] Code Camp

Phil Tomson ptkwt at aracnet.com
Thu Jul 7 17:39:21 PDT 2005

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005, Michael G Schwern wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 03:06:06PM -0700, Kris Bosland wrote:
> > Well, I am actually considering going (I just don't want to join Yahoo to
> > do it).  I don't have a problem with any of the techies I have met from
> > Microsoft, but I have a knee-jerk reaction when something looks like
> > "hidden evangelism" (makes me envision isolate-and-hard-sell tactics).

Actually, it's not very well hidden.  On the presenters page there are one
or two people listed as Microsoft developer evangelists.  Of course
they just had the idea to do this Code Camp completely seperate from their
work activities, I'm sure.

> > This sounds to me like a good way to learn about .NET and/or C#.  But I
> > would have been upset if I did not know that before I went.

Actually, I want to go and ask "So, what exactly is .NET anyway?  I think
I've heard about it somewhere or other, but I can't quite place it..."

> Maybe we can stack it with Perl programmers.
>
> And monkeys!
> http://pacwest.ms/codecamp/images/presenters/emork.jpg

And Powerbook/iBook users.  Lots of glowing Apples facing the front.  That
would be good.

> > Tangentially, is ".ms" the microsoft top level domain?
>
> Its Montserrat, a tiny island in the caribbean which is mostly covered in
> volcanic ash and Windows ME cds right now.
> http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/mh.html

Interesting.  Perhaps Microsoft bought the whole island?

Phil