[Pdx-pm] Code Camp

Kris Bosland krisb at ring.org
Thu Jul 7 15:06:06 PDT 2005

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005, Michael G Schwern wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 01:33:38PM -0700, Kris Bosland wrote:
> > from http://pacwest.ms/about/
> >
> > "This site is provided by the Microsoft West Region Developer and Platform
> > Evangelism (DPE) team."
>
> But its at Reed and Reedies are CrAziE!  However they're not particularly
> known for their computer science department.  Its an odd choice.
>
> Anyhow, one of the best conferences I ever went to was a Java conference.  So
> don't put something down just because of the sponsor or registration system.
> Uggg, O'Reilly's speaker registration system has contained deep suckage for
> years.
>
> Also Microsoft is deeply, deeply schitzoid.  "Small" departments within
> Microsoft often have goals which seem directly opposite of the rest of the
> company.
>
> More telling... as anyone heard of any of these guys?
> http://pacwest.ms/codecamp/pdx/1/tracks.html

Well, I am actually considering going (I just don't want to join Yahoo to
do it).  I don't have a problem with any of the techies I have met from
Microsoft, but I have a knee-jerk reaction when something looks like
"hidden evangelism" (makes me envision isolate-and-hard-sell tactics).

This sounds to me like a good way to learn about .NET and/or C#.  But I
would have been upset if I did not know that before I went.

Tangentially, is ".ms" the microsoft top level domain?

-Kris