[Pdx-pm] Starting from scratch with Module::Build

Michael G Schwern schwern at pobox.com
Sat Jul 2 01:52:11 PDT 2005

On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 09:36:06PM -0700, Eric Wilhelm wrote:
> >I've seen a lot of excellent code that was not put on CPAN because
> > either A) they thought it was a difficult thing to do or B) they
> > thought putting code on CPAN was something "special" and that nobody
> > would be interested in their module.
>
> There are conflicting opinions about this on the module-authors list.
> My personal approach since I started using subversion is to just dump
> my new stuff into my subversion repository and worry about getting it
> on CPAN when it's good enough (and when I get an automated release
> process so that publishing 17 distributions doesn't take a week (though
> that may be the case from QC anyway.))

Attached is the little release program I use.  Its pretty trivial and uses
the cpan-upload program.
http://search.cpan.org/dist/cpan-upload/

There's also Module::Release which can do things like upload to PAUSE,
check into CVS, upload to SourceForge.
http://search.cpan.org/~bdfoy/release/

> >Remember, CPAN is the *Comprehensive* Perl Archive Network which means
> > you get the good and the bad. ?Often by trying to filter out the bad
> > we've lost the good. ?Its better to just gather everything together
> > and filter from there.
>
> So, let's do svn.perl.org and hook kinosearch to it right?  Then all you
> need is a pause id (maybe a script could get you one of those
> automatically (or at least hold your hand and walk you through it)) and
> to run module-starter with the defaults (or a version thereof) to
> automagically have your new module published and under version control.

svn.perl.org is already available and folks can request a repository there
but I don't really see how this solves the problem of making a module.
You still need to roll releases and upload them to PAUSE.  You still need
to create the Build.PL/Makefile.PL, tests and library layout.

--
Michael G Schwern     schwern at pobox.com     http://www.pobox.com/~schwern
Ahh email, my old friend.  Do you know that revenge is a dish that is best