[Pdx-pm] Starting from scratch with Module::Build

Eric Wilhelm ewilhelm at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 1 21:36:06 PDT 2005

# The following was supposedly scribed by
# Michael G Schwern
# on Friday 01 July 2005 07:06 pm:

>Slowing the flow of modules to CPAN is not the way to do that
>I've seen a lot of excellent code that was not put on CPAN because
> either A) they thought it was a difficult thing to do or B) they
> thought putting code on CPAN was something "special" and that nobody
> would be interested in their module.

There are conflicting opinions about this on the module-authors list.
My personal approach since I started using subversion is to just dump
my new stuff into my subversion repository and worry about getting it
on CPAN when it's good enough (and when I get an automated release
process so that publishing 17 distributions doesn't take a week (though
that may be the case from QC anyway.))

>Remember, CPAN is the *Comprehensive* Perl Archive Network which means
> you get the good and the bad.  Often by trying to filter out the bad
> we've lost the good.  Its better to just gather everything together
> and filter from there.

So, let's do svn.perl.org and hook kinosearch to it right?  Then all you
need is a pause id (maybe a script could get you one of those
automatically (or at least hold your hand and walk you through it)) and
to run module-starter with the defaults (or a version thereof) to
automagically have your new module published and under version control.

--Eric
--
"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not
tried it."