[Pdx-pm] Subversion question

Eric Wilhelm scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 11:51:33 PST 2005

# from Kris Bosland
# on Tuesday 13 December 2005 11:18 am:

>Hi, I am starting to learn subversion but I would like to start to
>use things before I really know what I am doing.  Does anyone know:
> can I use local svn access from different machines across file
> systems like samba?  Is this risky?

You mean svn co file:///mountpoint/repos/path/ ?  I think the recommend
against this even for NFS.

Maybe you want to svn co svn+ssh://host/mountpoint/repos/path .  There's
also the svnserve daemon (which will actually get started on-demand if
you use the ssh protocol.)  If you're on a lame OS like windows, maybe
easier to setup svnserve than ssh.

Checking out _to_ a Samba mount is a different story.  Maybe that works
if all of your users are the same.

--Eric
--
"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not
tried it."