[Pdx-pm] utf 8 question

Tom Phoenix rootbeer at redcat.com
Mon Aug 29 18:52:31 PDT 2005

On 8/29/05, John Springer <techdude at dpo.org> wrote:

> I'm getting an error when I try to print the text file: "wide character in
> print ..."

When perl gives you a message you don't fully understand, see what the
perldiag manpage says. Here's what I see:

    Wide character in %s
        (W utf8) Perl met a wide character (>255) when it wasn't expecting
        one. This warning is by default on for I/O (like print) but can be
        turned off by "no warnings 'utf8';". You are supposed to explicitly
        mark the filehandle with an encoding, see open and "binmode" in
        perlfunc.

I'd also recommend the perluniintro manpage. Does that give you what
you need to solve your problem? Good luck with it!

--Tom Phoenix