[Pdx-pm] Lisp class

Eric Wilhelm ewilhelm at sbcglobal.net
Sat Apr 30 18:55:15 PDT 2005

# The following was supposedly scribed by
# Randall Lucas
# on Saturday 30 April 2005 11:44 am:

>I will soon have surpassed that age at which Paul Graham asserts one
>must have learned Common Lisp or have missed one's chance.

While I find his ideas intriguing and would like to subscribe to his
newsletter, he also asserts that python is more like lisp than Perl.
Do you find yourself wanting to learn python?

While lisp has a very sexy, mysterious allure about it, I'm not really
turned on by the claim that:  "You could translate simple Lisp programs
into Python line for line."   That says to me that lisp has too many
lines.

Admittedly, I don't really know lisp, but I've seen people who sing its
praises knock perl in favor of python while demonstrating that they
don't really know perl, so I feel pretty comfortable out on this
ledge :-)

IMO, you should first master map(), then consider learning lisp.  In the
bit of reading that I've done on it (thinking I was missing out on
something), I was continually waiting to be shown something that I
don't already do with Perl on a regular basis.  If there is something
in there, I doubt if it's anything that you'll get from a class (maybe
a mentor, but not a class.)

--Eric
--
"It ain't those parts of the Bible that I can't understand that bother
me, it's the parts that I do understand."