[Pdx-pm] Convert code to a module

Michael G Schwern schwern at pobox.com
Wed Jul 7 12:11:26 CDT 2004

On Sun, May 30, 2004 at 11:16:06PM +1000, Andrew Savige wrote:
> "Roderick A. Anderson" wrote:
> > I have what I think are the definitive books on OOPerl:
> > 	Advanced Perl Programming

I consider this book to be actively damaging for a newbie and hardly
useful for anybody else.  It was a confused, poorly edited grab bag when it
came out, now add to that its seven years out of date.

It was written in the early days of Perl OO and the practices it uses are
rarely useful and often just confuse the newcomer.  In most cases there are
much better ways to do things now or the book spends lots of time on things
which simply never was an issue.  Little of the sample code ever coalesed
into usable modules.

Examples: saving memory by spreading objects over sets of arrays
          the rather odd chapter about Jeeves

Damian Conway's OO Perl is much, much better.

The only other useful bit in APP was the XS and Internals information.
Simon Cozens' Perl Internals book is more up to date and covers it in more
detail.

--
Michael G Schwern        schwern at pobox.com  http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/
The easy way is always mined.