[Pdx-pm] whois

Austin Schutz tex at off.org
Sat Jul 3 22:23:55 CDT 2004

On Sat, Jul 03, 2004 at 09:09:28AM -0700, Josh Heumann wrote:
> <quote who="Wil Cooley">
> > I tried both Net::Whois and Net::XWhois some time ago and neither gave
> > me consistent results.  Maybe they've caught up to the changes in root
> > DNS servers, maybe not.
>
> Actually, I'm getting the same thing with Net::Whois.  A coworker
> mentioned something about flow restriction to the ARIN, et al servers, so
> that after a few queries, you start getting nulls back.  Anyone had any
> experience with this?

	Yes, I've experienced this with their rwhois server. My workaround
at the time was to implement an exponential backoff loop until the server
decided to cough up the goods. Particularly annoying was the lack of an rfc
compliant error message, but then we can't all be sticklers for standards...
	This ends up making additional work for the servers, but maybe it stops
some folks from flooding queries? *shrug*

	Austin