[Pdx-pm] reading a broken CSV file

Michael R. Wolf MichaelRWolf at att.net
Sun Nov 23 03:38:03 CST 2003

Jeff Zucker <jeff at vpservices.com> writes:

> Colin Kuskie wrote:
>
>>Get a line.
>>Feed it into some module that handles CSV and returns an array of elements
>>
> If that module is Text::CSV_XS, then the rest of this is irrelevant
> because it handles embedded newlines.  But since Eric is dealing with
> DBI and a database already, I can't think of any reason that DBD::CSV
> isn't the right tool for this job, but I'm prejudiced.

Prejudiced has such a negative connotation.. how 'bout well-informed?

[...]

Wanting to be more informed...

It appears that Text::CSV will *not* handle multi-line "records".
Will any other non-DBD module handle multi-line CSV's.

This is a timely thread for me. I just received a multi-line CSV from
an application. It appears to read into Excel OK, but not OpenOffice.
Since I'm the token Open Source guy in a mixed open/non-open new
venture, I'm wanting to get things done, and also wanting to use Perl
when I can. It's good to know that the DBD::CSV module does what I
want. Do other CSV modules also handle multi-line records?

Thanks,
Michael Wolf

--
Michael R. Wolf