[Pdx-pm] Perl and XS

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Tue Mar 18 13:10:01 CST 2003

>>>>> "Nick" == Nick Wehr <nick2canz at yahoo.com> writes:

Nick> I've got a topic for conversation for you Perl Wizards
Nick> out there.  I'm interested in XS and what it can do for
Nick> me.  Have any of you wrote an XS extention?  What was
Nick> the motivation?  Why did you choose the C library that
Nick> you did?  Say I wanted to make an extention for
Nick> sockets.  Where would I start?  What documentation
Nick> would I need to program it correctly.  Where would I
Nick> get those docs?  Is it practical to use?  I assume you
Nick> have to build it, is that ever a problem?  Any
Nick> information from anyone would be appreciated.  Thanks a
Nick> bunch.  -Nick

I find Inline::C to be far more penetrable than XS.  I have an
article referencing Inline::C at

<http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/LinuxMag/col44.html>.