[Pdx-pm] Fwd: Free Geek Programming Classes

Michael G Schwern schwern at pobox.com
Wed Jan 15 22:40:30 CST 2003

Free Geek is starting up a series of programming classes beginning from
square one and working up through basic web and database design with PHP
(hey, its better than JSP which is what they're using now).  There's one
class every Tuesday night, two hours to a class, revolving around a
real rewrite of Free Geek's inventory and volunteer tracking database.

I'm teaching the first class, Programming Concepts, this Tuesday 7-9pm
covering the basic of the basic basics.  The nuts & bolts type stuff:
logic & flow control, data types, scope, etc... and the more
insubstantial stuff: algorithic thinking, code as prose and human
communication, making useful mistakes, how to read a man page, etc...

Also, we will be smearing things with peanut butter and jelly.

Most folks on these lists will already be well beyond what's being
taught, but you might want to send on friends, significant others,
relatives, pets & cowerkers who might be interesting in learning about
the Interweb.  Or maybe you'd just like to come and heckle^Wsupport me.

It'll be interesting.  This is my first time teaching a beginner's
class.

Please RSVP to richard at freegeek.org so we have some idea of the audience
size.

Free Geek