Dynamic HTML

Chris Sparks sparksc at hlyw.com
Fri Jun 28 19:17:13 CDT 2002

Ovid, Can you recommend book/web site/perldoc other than the module documentation for TT?

Sparky

--- Jason White <jasona at inetarena.com> wrote:
> What I meant is, if you were writing a back-end perl application with a
> dynamically generated HTML interface that maintains states, uses templates,
> processes information, accesses a database, etc... Which perl modules would
> you(Everybody / Anybody) personally find most useful.
>
> I am currently using:
> Bundle::DBI (DBD::mysql)
> HTTP::Template
> CGI

Hmm... I don't know HTTP::Template.  Are you sure you don't mean HTML::Template? :)

I think you have good choices, but I prefer PostGres over MySQL, though I understand that MySQL
has been making large strides towards becoming ACID compliant.

As for the template system, I like Template::Toolkit because of the extreme power and flexibility
that it gives me, but HTML::Template's not a bad choice if you don't do anything too complicated.
TT can take a while to learn, but once you do, it's golden (and not restricted to HTML).

For session managemenet, check out Apache::Session.  For some reason, it doesn't appear to
actually require Apache, so I think the namespace is rotten, but I understand that it's a great
module (though I haven't used it).

If you're doing straight CGI, many people seem fond of CGI::Application, so I'll mention that, but
I haven't used it.  In reading through the documentation, it does appear to encourage good coding
practices, so you may wish to check it out.

Cheers,
Curtis "Ovid" Poe

=====
"Ovid" on http://www.perlmonks.org/
Someone asked me how to count to 10 in Perl:
push at A,$_ for reverse q.e...q.n.;for(@A){$_=unpack(q|c|,$_);@a=split//;
shift at a;shift at a if $a[$[]eq$[;$_=join q||, at a};print $_,$/for reverse @A