Intro to Perl

Curtis Poe poec at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 10 09:06:48 CST 2002

--- "Randal L. Schwartz" <merlyn at stonehenge.com> wrote:
> In 8 hours, you can spend 4 hours "in depth" getting to a sample
> program that uses decision and repetition (if, while) and scalars.
> But you probably won't get to arrays.  But then you can use the other
> 4 hours to do a quick "survey of the remaining land", and show example
> syntax for each of the other concepts... just enough to say "Perl can
> do this, and here's how to find out where".  Maybe it's more sales
> than training, but if you whet the appetitite, and at least give good
> keywords so they know what we're talking about, they'll feel OK to
> come to the meetings.  In 4 hours you can probably cover 200 bullet
> points at a minute or so a piece.  So just pick 200 mini-topics and
> give a sample line of code.  You can group them (maybe 20 each on
> array and hash) for better comprehension.
>
> That's probably what I'd do with 8 hours for a newbie.

Thanks for that.  Since you do this for a living, I suspect you *probably* know what you're
talking about ;)

Quick question:  I think I want to make them work through Learning Perl's "Whirlwind Tour" and
email me the results as the price of admission.  I'd request a minor change such as "take out the
part of the program that gives people with the username of Randal a back door" (since it doesn't
check to see if "Randal" has a password) to make sure they actually *did* something rather than
just download the code from somewhere.  If they accomplish that, is it realistic to assume that
the class could move along faster?

Cheers,
Curtis

=====
"Ovid" on http://www.perlmonks.org/
Someone asked me how to count to 10 in Perl:
push at A,$_ for reverse q.e...q.n.;for(@A){$_=unpack(q|c|,$_);@a=split//;
shift at a;shift at a if $a[$[]eq$[;$_=join q||, at a};print $_,$/for reverse @A