Help with DOS attack

Jeff Zucker jeff at vpservices.com
Mon Jul 23 13:28:26 CDT 2001

Michael Mitchell wrote:

> "Never open executables sent by email, even allegedly by friends."

For sure. I never opened any of it.

> I offer that same advice.  Again this has a "bat" extension.

Actually the give away is not .bat, but a double extension such as
.doc.bat with the final extension being .bat, .lnk, .com, .exe, .pif,
etc.  Also the attatchment has the same name as the subject line of the
message.

Apparently this one is a bit harder than usual for virus-cleaners to
spot because it hides itself in the recycle bin. (yes it is an "MS
virus", even though that is redundant to say)

More info at
http://www.cert.org/current/current_activity.html#W32/SirCam

--
Jeff