[Omaha.pm] Multiple .so's with a distributable

Christopher Cashell topher-pm at zyp.org
Thu Jan 9 12:34:38 PST 2014

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 9:03 AM, Nick Wertzberger <wertnick at gmail.com> wrote:

> I can figure out what all versions of perl this will be running under and
> compile for them, but I don't know how to switch between them.

What, if anything, are you using for handling and managing the multiple
Perl installations?

If you haven't hit that yet, take a look at *perlbrew*.  It can
automatically manage (download, install, setup, and switch between)
multiple Perl installations for you.  Switching your Perl environment from
one version to another is as easy as 'perlbrew switch perl-1.2.3'.  Within
each environment, you can easily install whichever modules you want,
including your YAML library.

Note, there are a couple of recent perlbrew alternatives that have popped
up, too.  I haven't tried any of them yet, and perlbrew has worked really
well for my needs, so I haven't had any incentive to do so.  If you run
into limitations with perlbrew, it might be worth checking some of them out.

For more information, check out:

   - http://perlbrew.pl
   - https://metacpan.org/pod/release/GUGOD/App-perlbrew-0.67/bin/perlbrew
   - http://perlbrew.pl/Reinstall-All-Modules-On-New-Perl.html