[Omaha.pm] Academic vs Production Code

Jay Hannah jay at jays.net
Mon Aug 27 08:23:34 PDT 2012

[From http://mail.pm.org/pipermail/boulder-pm/2012-August/001095.html]

On Aug 27, 2012, at 9:50 AM, Walter Pienciak <wpiencia at thunderdome.ieee.org> wrote:
> Academic code seems barebones, with the logic and working of the
> program evident.  Think of the examples in most textbooks.
>
> Production code has acknowledgment of "shit that happens."  Full
> disks, data input outside expected parameters, trying to open
> nonexistent files, etc.  This the realm of Rob's comments, IMO.

-nod-  In my two rounds of being "computer science adjacent" (1993, 2010) I was amazed, both times, at how poorly CS mapped to programming computers for a living. There's a lot of conversational overlap, but academia's refusal to get "bogged down" in any particular toolset leaves students undercooked for being code monkeys.

And 95% of computer science students don't want to be programmers...? Really? What % of CS-targeted jobs will be programming all day?

They're still not teaching version control? (ANY version control system?) Isn't this like an art student having no concept of a paint brush?

As you can tell, I have many energetic beefs with computer related academia.  :)

jhannah
Omaha.pm
http://www.linkedin.com/in/jhannah