[Omaha.pm] Catalyst for Perl...?

Travis McArthur travis at travisbsd.org
Fri Nov 9 08:20:13 PST 2007

Jay Hannah wrote:
> On Nov 8, 2007, at 2:58 PM, Daniel Linder wrote:
>
>> I am interested in the Catalyst framework for Perl.  (I was
>> interested in
>> Ruby on Rails, but just haven't had the time to learn Ruby and pick
>> up the
>> "on Rails" piece too...)
>>
>> Anyone using this in real life?
>>

> We're not. We rolled our own MVC structure. We use Template::Toolkit
> for our Views and we rolled our own ORM for our Model. I've played
> with various ORMs that they list, but we don't use any of them.
>
> ORM: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object-relational_mapping
>
> I like their new web page... Very clean and modern.
>
>    http://www.catalystframework.org/
>
> I like shiny things.  :)
>
> If you give it a shot let us know what you think. Better yet, come
> show it to us at a meeting. We can do a Perl-specific meeting if the
> DynLUG meeting schedule doesn't work well.

I haven't ever used it, but it looks pretty clean from the
documentation.  My big beef with rails is that if you don't do things
the way it wants, it makes it a living hell (in my experience at least)
to get it done.  This seems to be fairly adaptable and let you do your
own things and just provide a framework to help you out.

And I agree with Jay, please let us know what you find out from using
it, I'm curious to see how it works out for you, if it seems cool I'll
be much more likely to experiment with it on my next project :}.

Oh, and should you want to show it off I'd be game for a perl-only
meeting, I haven't been able to make it to the last two DynLug meetings
do to schedule conflicts.

Best Regards,
Travis