[HRPM] Sorting ps list - source code for server and client

chicks at chicks.net chicks at chicks.net
Tue Nov 28 05:55:16 CST 2000

On Mon, 27 Nov 2000, Matt Shivers wrote:
> Thanks for the nits on my code.

I can't help it.  I've sent comments and patches into the authors of
several modules - all of which have been appreciated.

> I'm always looking for ways to improve my code.

As should we all.

> I guess I was taking advantage of Perl on some of the lines (the
> scalar change and the push change), but it says something about Perl
> that those lines worked the way they were. Now that I think about it,
> relying on the internals of Perl to take care of things is kinda
> dangerous. If the internals change, the previously working code could
> blow up. That's a scary thought.

Perl internals of this sort are likely to be stable for a long time.
Perl6 will have a translator for any perl5 code that needs the old
semantics too.  But a little explicitness and a few comments makes
maintainability go up significantly.

> Anyway, on the the problem at hand. I will have to sit down and parse
> your "pidorder" subroutine before I ask any questions.

I'll be happy to explain it if it seems that daunting.  It's hard to tell
what code is going to be bewildering after a while.

--
</chris>

"Pinky, you've left the lens cap of your mind on again." - The Brain