[Neworleans-pm] New Orleans Perl Mongers: Our Future

B. Estrade estrabd at mailcan.com
Sun Nov 26 21:32:16 PST 2006

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought Joey Kelly started a PHP group
a while back - pre-Kat. .. Joey?

Reducing the number of PM meetings or dissolving the group completely
is a far different path than converting a PM group into a "general web
dev" group, which for all intensive purposes, makes it no longer a PM
group.

Perhaps the PM group can continue to exist as a web presence with
meetings every 3 months or so while those interested can form a
separate "generic web dev" group from the subset of NOPM'ers that are
interested in such.  If the PM meetings were held quarterly and on a
weekend (say Sundays around noon), I'd probably be able to drive in
from BR to attend.  I've also offered before to talk about things like
Perl 6/Parrot and the magic behind Perl's regexes.

This is the most activity the list has seen in a very long while, and
a discussion like this is well over due.  It was unfortunate that I
didn't make any PM meetings while I was still in NO, but I still feel
like I am a part of NOPM nonetheless, and I have been looking for a
chance to continue/increase my involvement while being in BR.

On this flip side, this might be a good reason to seriously look at
starting a BR/LSU PM group based at LSU since I work and go to school
there...plus I know a lot of people who use Perl for non-web dev
stuff...not that I am against web dev - that is how I got started with
programming 10 years ago and how I continue to pay some of my bills
today.

I've said all I am going to, so I'll just sit back and see what you
guys end up deciding.

Sincerely,
Brett