[Neworleans-pm] Sending Mail via Perl on Win32

Erin Laine erin at thelaines.org
Fri Oct 8 22:25:44 CDT 2004

I'm developing a Perl script on NT4 that processes web form input
including the collection of an email address. I want to send an email
back to the user to confirm the address they entered is working.

I'm using the Net::SMTP Perl package, and it works, but the response
time after the user submits the form until my "thank you" page is
displayed is about 30 seconds. Either the NET::SMTP package is slow or
the path to my SMTP server is. I've tried the Mail::Sender package with
similar results.

So I'm think of having the confirmation email sent at a later time.
Maybe a Perl script running as an NT service that monitors a directory
for files with a certain extension.  These files would be created at
form processing time and would contain the info needed to send the
confirmation email.

If you are still following this, does this sound like a reasonable
approach?  Or can you recommend something that might be better?

Thanks.

Erin Laine
... feeling clumsy on NT