Making a distribution with a command line thingy in it

Tom Hukins tom at eborcom.com
Thu Oct 14 07:50:48 PDT 2010

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 03:39:12PM +0100, Benjamin Martin wrote:
> Twas a good tech meet the other day, enjoyed the talks alot .. so cheers
> to all that spoke :)

Seconded!

> I was just wondering if anyone knew of a good source of information
> about building a distribution?... the reason I ask is because I was
> trying to find information on how to build into your package a command
> line script??

If you use ExtUtils::MakeMaker or Module::Build, it's fiddly.  People
tend to use different approaches, as you've noticed.

Module::Install makes this easier - look for "install_script" in its
documentation.  Although I'd use ExtUtils::MakeMaker for simple
distributions, I'd probably use Module::Install for problems EUMM
copes badly with, such as yours.