[Melbourne-pm] accessing MS Sequel database from Linux with perl?

Andrew Dent andrew_dent at dentaur.com
Sat Aug 22 02:10:45 PDT 2015

For working with MS Access databases on a Windows host from Linux (on the
same LAN), I have used the SOAP::Transport::TCP module on the Windows side
to create a SOAP server, then run this from a scheduled task. The Perl
scripts on the Windows side used DBI ODBC. I used SOAP::Lite on the Linux
side.
If I needed to access SQL Server I would probably do the same.

Is there a downside to using SOAP instead of a ODBC gateway?