[Melbourne-pm] Request for July talks [was Meetings via Google Hangout]

Alfie John alfiej at opera.com
Mon Jul 1 19:28:30 PDT 2013

Hi Drew,

On Tue, Jul 2, 2013, at 11:54 AM, Drew Taylor wrote:
> Since Sydney.pm meets so rarely, and Melbourne.pm meets every month,
> would
> you be willing to try using a Google Hangout so us Sydney-ites could
> attend? The question is inspired by an experiment from Toronto.pm [1].

We try to have meetings every month but lately it's been hard to get
speakers. Although I haven't put out a request for speakers for July,
I'm not exactly getting swapped by volunteers either.

On that (even though it is short notice), would anyone like to volunteer
to talk for July? Strategic Data have kindly put up their hand to hold
the next few talks.

> You could also ask, why doesn't Sydney.pm meet more regularly but I think
> that would be off topic for this list. :)

Until Toby raised it with me last year, I was surprised to hear that not
all Perl Monger groups hold monthly meetings. I thought it was the norm,
but it's an exception that Melbourne was the only regular monthly
Australian PM group. Hopefully a Google Hangout with interstate (or even
international) groups might spark some interest?

Speaking of spark... is anyone out there interested in taking over the
organising of talks for meetings going forward? I've been a bit busy
lately and maybe somebody else may have a bit more time to gather talks
and flock every month?

Alfie

--
  Alfie John