[Melbourne-pm] Perlweekly

greg.george at orica.com greg.george at orica.com
Wed Aug 8 14:40:47 PDT 2012

Hi All,

Here is the detail of the Perlweekly newsletter I mentioned to a few at
last nights meeting

Regards,

IT Shared Services
Orica Australia Pty Ltd
p. +613 9091 2492 | f. +613 9091 2444 | e. greg.george at orica.com
a. 3/100 Victoria Prd, Melbourne, Vic, Australia 3001

----- Forwarded by Greg George/AU/ITS/ORICA on 09/08/2012 07:39 AM -----

From:   Gabor Szabo <gabor at szabgab.com>
To:     perlweekly at perlweekly.com,
Date:   06/08/2012 02:38 PM
Subject:        [Perlweekly] #54 - WebGUI, Dada Mail, Sqitch releases
Sent by:        perlweekly-bounces at perlweekly.com

Perl Weekly
Issue #54 - August 6, 2012 - WebGUI, Dada Mail, Sqitch releases
You can read the newsletter on the web, if you prefer.
Hi,
I don't have much to say this week. Let's see what other people wrote:
Announcements
Announcing Galileo - A minimal but modern CMS
I think there are lots of Content Management Systems written in Perl, but
none of them are really well known. Now that Joel Berger has released his
new CMS, I wonder if this can break into the world of high-profile CMSes?
Does Joel want to invest the time and energy in the promotion part as
well? Does he want to make a business around it?
50% off O'Reilly Perl Ebooks
I was not sure if I want to promote O'Reilly, after all the money spent on
them might be money not spent on Perl Maven books. In the end, I think if
you wanted to buy a Perl book from O'Reilly and you can buy it for half
the price, then why not? Just note, it is only till August 9, 2012
Articles
Investing in Infrastructure
Some good reasons why a company should contribute back to the Perl
ecosystem. Unfortunately, many think 'it will work without us' or feel
entitled to all the free code regardless of their action. It seems - to me
- the higher up someone on the management ladder - the shorter s/he can
see ahead.
Hash to string race
Sebastien Willing has compared 9 ways of stringification (or serialization
or marshalling). See his benchmarks.
How to calculate the balance of bank accounts in a CSV file, using Perl?
One of the readers of the Perl 5 Maven site sent me a CSV file with some
bank account details, and a script parsing it. Badly. I took the
opportunity and showed how to refactor the code step-by-step. I hope it
will help some other people as well.
Releases
WebGUI 7.10.25 released
Dada Mail v5.2.0 Released
Sqitch v0.80: Now With More You
This isn't just theory any more, David E. Wheeler released a fairly usable
version of the Sqitch, the simple database change management system. It
was nice following along his posts during the development, and see the
usable release of the product. Now comes the hard part. Getting the word
out. You could help him in this even more. Try Sqitch and write about it,
or share the link to the article.
Testing
Elapsed Time in Test Output
Sometimes it is useful to see how long each step in a test script took.
Code
On writing a new Perl Debugger (Part 1 - Why?)
Rocky Bernstein has started a new debugger for Perl. This the first part
of an already 3-part long series of articles describing not only why he is
building a new debugger, but also what can we expect to find in it. I
think writing about the debugger as he is developing it can be one of the
critical pieces, that can make the new debugger more popular than the
previous ones.
AnyEvent::Capture - Synchronous calls of async APIS
Perils of Plugins
Editors and IDEs
Perl Editor
This is the second part of the Perl Maven Tutorial. It is fun to see how
every time editors are mentioned, the number of comments jump. People
really care about their editors. (Maybe I should write about indentation
as well :).
Grants
Interim Grant Report: Lists, Iterators, and Parcels
After a very long period, finally Patrick Michaud provides a new report on
his progress.
Cooking Perl with Chef - Grant Report #4
David Golden is back working full time on the grant. He also created a new
web site for Perl and Chef and there is a mailing list for the DevOps
using Perl. There is even a screencast for Cooking Perl with Chef.
Polls
A Quick Update On The Catalyst Poll
Surely more than 300 of the Perl Weekly readers have some opinion (good or
bad) on Catalyst? John Napiorkowski is looking for both current users of
Catalyst and people who have not used it yet or already left it for some
other framework or even some other language. (Though I guess the last
group won't read this newsletter anyway.)
Perl 6
The finished game
After a month of blogging, Carl Masak has finished the game. If you have
been waiting it to be finished before you start reading, then it's your
turn now!
Niecza Perl 6 v20 released
Is a value IN a given list of values?
Introducing junctions and the any(), all(), none(), one() functions.
Looping over a list of values one at a time, two at a time and more
How can you get every 3 elements of an array? How can you merge two arrays
together like a zip? Introducing the big Z operator!
Weekly collections
MetaCPAN favourites weekly report
Perl 5 Porters Weekly: July 23-July 29, 2012
The message that finally 5.16.1 is unblocked and why there was no interest
in adding more documentation to the core Perl.
stackoverflow perl report
Events
I usually list the next 3-4 events here. The list of all the events can be
found on the web site. If your Perl event is not listed there, please let
me know.
YAPC::EU 2012
August 20-22, 2012, Frankfurt, Germany
YAPC::Asia Tokyo 2012
September 27-29, 2012, Tokyo, Japan
Portuguese Perl workshop (PTPW)
September 28, 2012, Braga, Portugal
You joined the Perl Weekly to get weekly e-mails about the Perl
programming language and related topics.
Want to see more? See the archives of all the issues.
Reading this as a non-subscriber? click here to join us free of charge.
(C) Copyright Gabor Szabo. The articles are copyright the respective
authors.
You can unsubscribe here if you don't want to receive mails any more.
You can freely redistribute this message if you keep the whole message
intact, including the Copyright notice and this text.