[Melbourne-pm] Next meeting - 6/Mar/11

Toby Corkindale toby.corkindale at strategicdata.com.au
Tue Mar 8 19:30:30 PST 2011

On 04/03/11 17:14, Gerry Ferguson wrote:
> Topic suggestion:
> I would like to know more about Perl Gui programming especially using QT.

I don't know much about this myself, but perhaps someone else here will
be able to help?

I note that PerlQt hasn't had a release in just over 11 years, so I
suggest avoiding it; it'll almost certainly be problematic.

QtGui looks a little more modern, being only a tad over 3 years old, and
unfortunately appears to have no documentation :(
However it looks like it has quite a lot of example code, so it might be
possible to get by with it.
http://search.cpan.org/~vadiml/QtGui-4.004/

I think your best bet would be to give up on QT and use WxWidgets:
http://www.wxwidgets.org/
I know these are actually used in real-life by Padre, the Perl IDE, so
they must actually work to some degree!

My only other advice is: Don't use Win32::GUI - it's seriously buggy and
will break your Perl.
But if you do have to use it, then I have a patch that at least makes it
stable. (Submitted to author, and ignored for several years.)

Cheers,
Toby