[Melbourne-pm] caching CPAN dist files

David Dick ddick at iinet.net.au
Wed Apr 20 13:48:04 PDT 2011

On 20/04/11 11:35, Mathew Robertson wrote:
> Hi Toby,
>
> I am not familiar with how this would do the dependency checking
> required -> how would building a package containing exactly the
> installed files, differ from simply creating a tarball?  ie: it appears
> this technique completely ignores the OS versioning problems...

well, technically since toby is creating a debian package, the
difference is he has wrapped a tarball inside an arball :)

But the practical difference is, creating any sort of native os package
is the first step to calculating dependencies.  Once you have a debian
package (or a rpm, or whatever), the next step is to examine your build
directory for dependencies and list them in the package.

For example, run 'file' on everything in the build directory, grep for
'shared object' or 'executable', run 'objdump -p' on that, discover the
library names that aren't in the build directory and run 'dpkg -S' on
those libraries.  That list (plus version numbers from 'dpkg -s' if you
want) goes straight into the control file in the debian package.