[Melbourne-pm] caching CPAN dist files

Toby Corkindale toby.corkindale at strategicdata.com.au
Tue Apr 19 18:41:51 PDT 2011

On 20/04/11 11:35, Mathew Robertson wrote:
> Hi Toby,
>
> I am not familiar with how this would do the dependency checking
> required -> how would building a package containing exactly the
> installed files, differ from simply creating a tarball?  ie: it appears
> this technique completely ignores the OS versioning problems...

My method is essentially an OS-versioned tarball.
In the Perl world, you have to accept that you're going to get the
latest versions of modules, rather than a specific version XXX.
A modern application needs hundreds of modules once you include all the
sub-dependencies - you would be insane to try and manually vet and
hand-pick every one.
So my method says "take everything, latest as of now". Then you test
this and ensure it works for you - if there are breakages (and there
always are) then you fiddle with the packages involved until its good.

Once you have a "Stable" package, you keep using that until you need to
upgrade, at which point you start the whole process over, until you have
another "stable" release.

This gives you the benefits of tracking recent versions of modules from
CPAN, without having the problems of random module versions introducing
bugs or changes at difficult points in your development process.

Toby

.signature