[Melbourne-pm] April 14 Perl Mongers Meeting!

Toby Corkindale toby.corkindale at strategicdata.com.au
Tue Apr 13 17:57:51 PDT 2010

On 14/04/10 00:31, Patrick Donelan wrote:
>     It's just a small change, but the one I'm looking forward to the most
>     is finally getting rid of 'use strict' and 'use warnings' on 5.12.
>

> Only strictures, not warnings I think?
>
> Adam would have a hernia <http://use.perl.org/~Alias/journal/40302> if
> they enabled warnings by default..

Meh, sounds like he is blaming warnings when maybe he should be looking
at fixing the way his applications log to disk.
Although I take his point about the confusion of working out just when
warnings *are* enabled, now that assorted other modules (he mentions
Moose, Mojo and Dancer) enable them for you.
Which is why it will be best if there's a perl-core kind of way to do it.

I'd like to see strict and warnings on by default, because of the number
of times I've fixed up a friend or colleague's code that doesn't work -
and it was for an obvious reason, yet they weren't running with
strictures or warnings and so didn't get told by the interpreter.

If you're an expert, then you can do 'no strict/warnings' where
necessary, but generally I think they should start on.

I realise I'm probably in the minority here though..