[Melbourne-pm] Top 100 fail bug-squash, TONIGHT, 6:30pm

Paul Fenwick pjf at perltraining.com.au
Tue Sep 8 23:21:21 PDT 2009

Ryan, Martin G wrote:
> Is Strawberry a different beast to Cygwin?

A very different beast.  Cygwin is essentially a Unix-like compatibility
layer.  So Cygwin Perl usually gets all the bugs in Windows, *and* all the
bugs in Unix.  ;)

In my (very extensive!) Cygwin Perl experience, it's much more Unix-like
than Windows-like, but contains enough differences to regularly get in
trouble.  For the last couple of years, Cygwin was my primary Perl platform[1].

Cygwin can be installed alongside Strawberry Perl, and there's no
interaction between them.  They can happily exist side-by-side.

All the best,

	Paul

[1] With me now having a new laptop, I'm back on Linux.

--
Paul Fenwick <pjf at perltraining.com.au> | http://perltraining.com.au/