[Melbourne-pm] Perl DBI reference recommendations

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Thu Jul 16 00:08:09 PDT 2009

Alec Clews <alecclews at gmail.com> writes:
> On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 16:34, Daniel Pittman <daniel at rimspace.net> wrote:
>> Alec Clews <alec.clews at gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> So, what do you actually /want/ from the DBI reference?
>>
>>  - a summary of DBI methods?   - how to use SQL through DBI directly?   - a
>> guide to using an SQL abstraction module?   - a guide to effective SQL for
>> MySQL, PgSQL, Oracle, or something else?   - a guide to the "best" ORM for
>> Perl?
>>

> Good question.
>
> I want a handy 'desk' reference with
>
> a) Lots of examples
> b) Easy to read and complete reference material
>
> The reason is that I can't hold the details in my head (because I do not DBI
> regularly), but I need to keep knocking off dirty that little scripts that
> run sql queries. I figure the easiest way for that is SQL via DBI rather
> than an abstraction module.

Well, raw DBI is pretty wordy, but is otherwise sensible.  I think what you
want is a good SQL reference, then, rather than DBI.  Well, or maybe a "cheat
sheet" derived from the manual page.

Once you have that there are, like, five statements you need from DBI in
general, so you probably won't find much in a book on it ... but plenty from
the "how do I achieve X in SQL" guide.

Regards,
        Daniel

->{connect,prepare_cached,execute,fetchrow_*,do} makes five.  Just.