[Melbourne-pm] Web auth meth

Mathew Robertson mathew.robertson at netratings.com.au
Wed Sep 10 18:47:02 PDT 2008

>> Thats not strictly true, ie;
>> 1. go to page located behind https url,
>> 2. page contains a username/password form entry fields
>> 3. the onsubmit handler sends XMLHttpRequest with the appropriate
>> auth-headers set using those form fields
>
> Nice interesting solution. I will play with that. How well does that
> work on IE6?
> Mind you I still would not use it, as it supports no safe logout and
> no ability to timeout or logout from the server end.
[resend]

AFAICR, we haven't had an issue - but my care factor for IE6 is pretty
low, so I may not have noticed.

I dont think the "no logout" is strictly true - I think you could do the
following:

on the first request it will send the user/pass; if you also send
through a form token -> the server then initialises a "login time" field
with the form token.

Subsequent requests you then send the token.  When there is a long delay
from the last request (ie: you can validate against the token), you can
send a "not authorized" response.  The browser then will retry
indefinitely as it will show that ugly popup, but it wont send the token
-> it would require the user to go back to the login page.
Alternatively, you could send back an "authorized" response, but
redirect back to the login page.

Thoughts?
Mathew