[Melbourne-pm] Alternatives to Crypt::Random ?

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Fri May 30 02:50:03 PDT 2008

Scott Penrose <scottp at dd.com.au> writes:

> After all our discussion about using better andomness, I am having
> major issues with Crypt::Random. It says in the doc it does not depend
> on Math::Pari, but it does. Unfortunately I can't get Math::Pari to
> install.
>
> This unfortunately moves the module from useful and usable into too
> difficult for the average person to install.
>
> Ahh what is worse, the Crypt::Random on CPAN requires a version of
> Math::Pari that is not on CPAN.

Joy!  I presume you are not satisfied with the prerequisites being in
the various common distributions; I wouldn't blame you.

Math::TrulyRandom looks like an acceptable fallback if you can't read
from /dev/random on your platform, although it involves XS code, and is
bound to be fairly slow.

Math::Random::MT::Auto looks likely to be the best choice, being as it
provides a wide range of initialization functions as well as a good PRNG
that will delivery considerably higher quality results than the built-in
code.

Otherwise, looks like you get to write it yourself.  Yay.

Regards,
        Daniel