[Melbourne-pm] mod_perl and apache authentication

David Dick ddick at aapt.net.au
Tue Aug 26 04:28:07 PDT 2008

Gary Monson wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am trying to write a test mod_perl authentication mechanism (for mod_perl
> 1.29), but my PerlAuthenHandler does not seem to be called (although my
> PerlAccessHandler *does* get called, and I can force the browser to send
> credentials by returning AUTH_REQUIRED from that).
>
> I only have access to the .htaccess to configure this (for now), and I suspect
> that the LDAP authentication already configured in the httpd.conf is
> interfering with my ability to call my PerlAuthenHandler.  Is it the case
> that only one module can handle 'authentication' for a location (even if more
> than one can be run for 'access')?

Okay, it's been a long time since i've done any apache module
programming, but my copy of the Eagle book says that when you have
stacked handlers for the same phase (in this case the authentication
phase, the first handler to respond with OK or AUTH_REQUIRED causes all
the other handlers to be skipped, otherwise, the handler can return
DECLINED to allow the next handler to check the request.  However, the
server will call the handlers in reverse order of installation.
Hopefully this helps.

Best of luck
-Dave