[Melbourne-pm] Web provider for Catalyst applications

Adam Clarke adam.clarke at strategicdata.com.au
Tue Jul 17 05:25:29 PDT 2007

On 16/07/2007, at 12:30 PM, Jacinta Richardson wrote:

> ,A client of mine has some Perl and Catalyst applications she'd
> like to move
> to another hosting provider and has asked me for some advice.
> Although I can
> suggest some great US companies which offer Catalyst out of the box
> on virtual
> servers etc, I'm having some difficulty finding anyone in Australia
> who does so
> as well.  At the moment having an Australian ISP is a requirement,
> with a
> preference for an east-coast main office.

http://rimuhosting.com/

They are actually from NZ so if the above requirements are hard then
they may be no good. That said they have some things in their favour

o  they have VPS servers in Brisbane (as well as Dallas, NY, and
London), so they may meet the intent rather then the letter of the
above requirements.
o choice of Linux distros
    * Centos5 (RimuHosting Recommended Distro)
    * RimuHosting Enterprise Linux 4 (RHEL4-based)
    * Debian 4.0 (aka Etch)
    * Debian 3.1 (aka Sarge)
    * Ubuntu 6.06 (Dapper Drake with 5 yr long term support (LTS))
    * Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Fawn, latest 6 monthly release)
    * Fedora 7
    * Fedora Core 6
o I have heard them recommended quite a few times
o only offer products where you get root (SSH)
o offer discounts to OSS developers

USD $40/month buys a pretty decent package in the US, bandwidth on
the Aussie servers is more expensive than civilised places so they
cost more.

We are looking at a US based one for a client at the moment.

Cheers
--
Adam Clarke
www.strategicdata.com.au