[Melbourne-pm] Testing non-pel scripts with Test::Harness

Ryan, Martin G Martin.G.Ryan at team.telstra.com
Tue Feb 13 19:02:46 PST 2007

Hello all,

Many of you would be aware that the output from Test::More and like
minded modules is in a standard "TAP" (test anything protocol) format -
see http://search.cpan.org/search?query=Test::Harness::TAP

This allows Test::Harness or any other "test output analyzer"
module/utility to be used on any testing script written in any language
- as long as its output conforms to TAP.

I've written a simple utility for volume testing a CLI accessible device
using TCL/expect.  It prints out TAP on stdout - specifically so that I
could use Test::Harness to analyze the results but, I cant get
Test::Harness to run it for me...

Shell>  perl -MTest::Harness -e 'runtests("./voltest.tcl")'
./voltest....couldn't read file "-w": no such file or directory
./voltest....dubious
        Test returned status 1 (wstat 256, 0x100)
FAILED--1 test script could be run, alas--no output ever seen
Shell>

Anyone been here before?  Anyone know Test::Harness well enough to tell
me what I'm doing wrong?

Many thanks,
Martin