[Melbourne-pm] Driving a serial command line device with Perl

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Tue Oct 3 19:59:50 PDT 2006

G'day.  I need to build a script wrapper around a command line device,
accessed via a serial port.

I know a bunch of ways to do this, from driving an external cu with
Expect, or implementing all that code myself with sysread and syswrite.

What I am not sure on is the best way to achieve what I want, focused on
minimum fuss rather than maximum features.

All I really need is to connect to the device, write a few commands out
and read back the responses.  All pretty trivial, no complex buffering
needed, and all should be pretty easy to manage.

So, any suggestions on what the easy way to do this is?

Regards,
        Daniel
--
Digital Infrastructure Solutions -- making IT simple, stable and secure
Phone: 0401 155 707        email: contact at digital-infrastructure.com.au
                 http://digital-infrastructure.com.au/