[Melbourne-pm] Apache Cache

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Mon Jul 3 19:39:42 PDT 2006

Scott Penrose <scottp at dd.com.au> writes:

> I need to cache some thumbnails in a mod perl Apache module.
>
> The way that most systems seem to do it on CPAN is to use a "."
> directory in the same location, or some other top root directory via
> configuration.
>
> However it occurs to me with Cache::Cache, and other cache systems -
> and things like Apache::Cache, and lots of cache abilities built into
> top level apache etc etc - that there might be a better way.
>
> Unfortunately Apache::Cache is a shared memory cache for memory
> between calls - which is not really much help for thumbnails (too
> much data). I could just do a directory cache, but then if someone
> wanted to move to Memcached (for example) that might make it harder.

Well, they could just use Cache::Memcached or Cache::Memcached::XS to
replace the storage infrastructure under the unified cache module with a
memcached backed store. :)

Seriously, Cache::Cache seems like the best generic interface to storing
the data available.  It is good, generic, widely available and supports
a large number of persistent and non-persistent storage models.

Provide a couple of configuration options and you should be able to let
the end user select their storage -- be that file storage, shared
memory, memcached, or whatever else.

Regards,
        Daniel
--
Digital Infrastructure Solutions -- making IT simple, stable and secure
Phone: 0401 155 707        email: contact at digital-infrastructure.com.au
http://digital-infrastructure.com.au/