[Melbourne-pm] Slides from last Melb.PM

Jacinta Richardson jarich at perltraining.com.au
Fri Jul 16 00:33:18 CDT 2004

> So, given that I have been to none yet (wednesday is a bad day for me):

:(  Well, if Wednesday becomes better do drop in, our talks are usually
lots of fun.  :)

> In the `use strict' talk:
>
> So how many people put up their hands in the respective "who do" and "who
> don't" questions? :)

We have very good Perl programmers in Melbourne PM so this question has
lead to some people admitting that for one line perl -e solutions they
don't use strict and other than than I think everyone says they do.

Mind you, I'd had to be the single person who doesn't use strict in a
room of decent Perl prgrammers.  ;)

> Bah to people who don't teach their students about why -w and `use strict'
> are Your Friend.

Most of it seems to be a problem when the person is self taught.  None
of the Perl documentation, the camel book or the llama book assume
you'll be using strict.  I don't know when merlyn mentions it but its
not in the first chapter. The first Perl code examples in the camel
doesn't use my... if people start by learning bad habits they'll
continue.  There are things you can do to avoid creating the errors that
strict and warnings pick up.  These things involve more effort but if
you don't use strict and warnings then it's something you just learn to
do.  After that you're inclined to believe that there's nothing that
strict and warnings can do to help you, because you already know how to
identify and avoid those errors yourself.

We teach with strict and warnings from the word go and still have
students who see it as a lot of bother they shouldn't need...  mostly
those students who've learned a little Perl before.

So bah, sure, but that's bahing at our book writers and the students
themselves.

All the best,

        Jacinta

--
    ("`-''-/").___..--''"`-._          |  Jacinta Richardson         |
     `6_ 6  )   `-.  (     ).`-.__.`)  |  Perl Training Australia    |