Perl JINI

Scott Penrose scottp at myinternet.com.au
Thu Oct 9 19:28:21 CDT 2003

On Friday, Oct 10, 2003, at 09:50 Australia/Melbourne, gU5t4F wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 10, 2003 at 07:08:02AM +1000, Scott Penrose wrote:
> <snip>
>>
>> Anyway, the principle really is:
>>
>> 	* Automatic discovery over TCP/IP
>> 	* Methods and Events discoverable
>> 	* Small and fairly simple (both in implementation and protocol)
>
> Hmm... i would have suggested a CORBA implementation except for
> your last requirement there :\
>
> There are open source CORBA implementations (none written in perl
> to my knowledge, but some perl inteface modules exist)

CORBA is so big that even Java doesn't use it :-) and they invented
their own.

But also CORBA is almost exactly what I don't want to do.

JINI does the distributed executing thing, and I want to dumb that down
to be more standard.

There are always two ways to mainly go with the development of a large
scale distributed network of systems (or in my case a small scale
distributed set of embedded devices).

  * Generic distribution (CORBA, other lighter weight versions)
  * Non code based.

When distributing data via DNS people don't distribute code. I am sort
of in the same boat. You know there are standards like 'Mass Storage
Device' for USB and PCMCIA devices these days - they don't require code
or even remote execution, it is just a standard for accessing that
data. I am looking for a similar concept.

JINI also has the advantage of being really small for embedded devices.

I have been reading up on the zeroconf stuff (http://www.zeroconf.org/)
and it looks pretty good.
The IP side of things is then nicely handled, moving of networked
devices etc. Plus there is already open source daemons existing for
linux :-) But I am not yet sure of its 'weight' :-)

There is no perl code for it but the nice thing about the
implementation is you just talk to the local daemon to handle your
settings etc.

Of course this answer is like 'XML' solves everything. Now that I have
adhoc network and detection of services, what is my service ? Is there
registration for that service ? Is it just unix port numbers - which
isn't that bad but...

Scott
- --
Scott Penrose
Open source developer
http://linux.dd.com.au/
scottp at dd.com.au

Dismaimer: Open sauce usually ends up never coming out (of the bottle).

Please do not send me Word or PowerPoint attachments.