YAPC::AU

Gabor Szabo gabor at perl.org.il
Fri Nov 14 23:44:28 CST 2003

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003, [iso-8859-1] Andrew Savige wrote:

> 1) Instead of YAPC::Australia was calling it YAPC::Oceania discussed?
>    After all, it was YAPC::Europe in Paris, not YAPC::France.
>    OTOH, we had YAPC::Israel and YAPC::Canada. I could ask a NZ Perl
>    hacker friend (Jas Nagra) but apart from that I have no idea if
>    the Kiwis would be interested.

We will do YAPC::MiddleEast once it is reasonable to expect to see
visitors from other ME countries. (Actually I asked brian d foy if he
can come. You know he is right now on a long term visit in
another ME country).

> 2)
>    We may get some good and fresh advice from them. I've had a
>    little bit of contact with all three in the past and have found
>    them to very helpful and friendly.

I am sure the various YAPC::EU and YAPC::NA organizers will have a lot to
add to it especially because for them these are once-only events.
You might also ask the experience of the people in the German Perl
Workshop  http://www.perlworkshop.de/ They have been doing it for 5 years
now. There was also a P3 conference in Taiwan (Perl/Python/PHP) if
I am not mistaken. They might be even potential visitors to your
conference.

In the meantime you can take a look at what I wrote about our experience
with the previous conference:
http://www.perl.org.il/YAPC/2003/retrospective.html

Oh and BTW if you happen to be in our area in February 2004, we would be
happy to see any of you on our conference:

YAPC::Israel::2004
http://www.perl.org.il/YAPC/2004/

regards
Gabor