PTA and YAPC

Scott Penrose scottp at dd.com.au
Thu Nov 13 15:52:29 CST 2003

On Thursday, Nov 13, 2003, at 21:35 Australia/Melbourne, Paul Fenwick
wrote:

> G'day Scotty / Everyone,
>
> On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 02:24:16PM +1100, Scott Penrose wrote:
>
>>> 	One thing to remember is that PTA is a commercial entity,
>>> so there will be an expectation for 'return on investment', or
>>> at least to break even on real and opportunity costs.  That
>>
>> Hmm... This is probably then of no interest to a YAPC event.
>>
>> YAPC is not for profit so what it will be looking for is sponsorship
>> and free talks.
>
> I want to make a clarification here, because I know there's a
> possibility that my statement may have been taken the wrong way.  So,
> for the record, it's neither my expectation nor my desire that PTA
> profit from YAPC at YAPC's expense.  We don't expect to make *money*
> from courses/speaking/etc that we provide.  The primary benefits are
> exactly what Scott has identified -- publicity, reputation and good
> will.  :)

Great :-) Sorry if I misunderstood your last message.

> Both myself personally and PTA are quite excited by the prospect
> of a YAPC::AU, and are definitely eager to help.  I can certainly
> help in the immediate term by providing housing for mailing lists
> and archiving (if we want a separate YAPC::AU organisation list),
> and a wiki if people want a place to write comments/ideas/minutes/
> progress/etc.

Great - the excitement is definitely contagious :-)

> On that note, does anyone have any records/wikis/etc (however brief)
> of what I missed after I had to leave last night?  I know that dates
> and audiences were being discussed, were there any conclusions there?

I am putting it together this weekend. I was going to use the YAPC wiki
but it doesn't seem appropriate.

Anyone want to point me to a a really simple to install / setup wiki so
I can create one on our server please ? Needs to be perl, simple to
install (I have no root access to the box) - preferably very few or no
extra special perl modules etc.

Scott
- --
Scott Penrose
Anthropomorphic Personification Expert
http://search.cpan.org/search?author=SCOTT
scott at cpan.org

Dismaimer: While every attempt has been made to make sure that this
email only contains zeros and ones, there has been no effort made to
guarantee the quantity or the order.

Please do not send me Word or PowerPoint attachments.