perl scripts hang after migration to apache2.0.40

Kerry Seibold kerry at kseibold.com
Thu Jan 30 21:05:33 CST 2003

Hi All,
I am setting up a new box to migrate my webserver to.
Existing server is RH7.1 Apache 1.3.19: webserver works fine.
New server (hostname webserver2): Have installed RH8 with Apache2.0.40.
Have copied the complete /var/www from old to new.
Have cut and paste and setup /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf and this tests ok.
(httpd -t returns "Syntax OK").

Testing the webserver on my lan, plain old html pages are served up ok, but
some CGI's (Perl) serve back some data,
then the browser just hangs waiting for more data.
Apache error log file says:

[Fri Jan 31 10:04:46 2003] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] (20507)The timeout
specified has expired: ap_content_length_filter: apr_bucket_read() failed.

I am using perl5, apache mod-perl, cgi-lib.pl.

I have searched on google, and tried apache.org, and searched my
perl-mongers archives, but can't find any clues.

I selected a script to try to find out where the script appears to be
hanging by inserting:
print "ok to here #DEBUG<br>";
print "</body></html>";
exit;

It seems to depend on how many variables have been declared??

Does anybody have ideas about what the solution is?

Thanks,
Kerry.